My Opinion on Stronger Gun Control

In wake of the Newtown, Connecticut massacre yesterday, I've heard a lot of people screaming for stronger gun control. Here's my take on the idea.

I read an article from the Brumfield P.D. Facebook page. The Chief of Police had a really good point and frankly, I agree with his view. He said that gun laws shouldn't be more intense and there shouldn't be an uprising of 'gun-free' zones.

I personally don't want it to be impossible for my husband to purchase a gun in the future for the safety of our home and family. If someone is properly trained on gun safety and they store said gun and bullets safely, I see no problem with people having guns in their homes. Plus, as the Chief put it, "I do not want to take a baseball bat to a gunfight."

The Chief also said in his statement that he thought that schools should be better protected with cameras and locked doors and, as he put it, "Dedicate a secure room/vestibule near the entrance for conferences or meetings with parents." I agree with this.

I find it kind of funny when people say that we need stronger gun control so criminals have a harder time getting a hold of those deadly weapons.

Lets think about that for a moment:

CRIMINALS DON'T FOLLOW LAWS. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE CRIMINALS AND IF THEY WANT TO GET A GUN, THEY'LL FIND A WAY, whether or not we have stronger gun laws.

I think schools just need to be more like a 'fortress' of sorts. I agree with the Chief when he said that he doesn't think that teachers should carry guns. It would make me extremely nervous having my kid in a classroom with a teacher who may not know how to handle a gun properly. Also, what could potentially happen if said teacher was required to make a shoot/don't shoot decision on the spot when they didn't have adequate training? So basically, if teachers are going to have guns, I definitely think that they are to be required to be trained by professionals.

My heart breaks for every one of those parents who lost a little one yesterday. I can't even image the sorrow and pain they're going through. If that happened to my little boy, I would be broken forever. My prayers and thoughts go out to each and every one of them. I feel so grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints so I have the knowledge that those parents will see their babies again. I know the Lord will take good care of them in heaven.

Thanks for reading,

Mackenzie

P.S. Here's the link to that article:
https://www.facebook.com/BrimfieldPolice/posts/544677862227928
(Sorry its not a clicky, my blog is stubborn sometimes)

Comments

I definitely agree with you, Mackenzie
Unknown said…
I definitely agree with you Mackenzie. If they create stronger gun laws then the only people that would be able to get guns are the criminals, and no responsible person would be able to defend themselves. I want to know that the good people out there have a way to defend us.

Popular posts from this blog

Week 36 Pregnancy Update

Lincoln 7 Week Update

Something Terrible Happened