Mackenzie's Guilty Pleasure Names
Okay, so one of the things Josh and I like to do (as strange as it might sound) is to bounce future baby names off each other. I'm a total name fanatic so I'm a little more adventurous when it comes to names I love. Some names I really like but I would never use for a real person or Josh vetoes them as soon as it comes out of my mouth, so I push those to the guilty pleasure list (yes, I have one) and I save them for a future novel or short story. Here's only a few names from my guilty pleasure list with reasons why I like each one.
SPARROW: Yes, Sparrow. This is one of those names that I think I would use for an endearing nickname for either a parent to child or between love interests.
SUNSHINE: Again, yes. Sunshine. I saw this name on one of the decorators from the earlier seasons of Cake Boss and I'm seriously considering this one for a girl in the latest novel I'm working on.
ASTRID: From How To Train Your Dragon. I LOVE this name but I wouldn't use it simply because of the character from the film.
INGRID: Ingrid Michaelson is one of my very favorite musicians to listen to, and her name is awesome! However, Josh can't sign off on this one because he likes Ingrid Michaelson too, and the whole idea of naming a child after a famous singer doesn't work for him.
GENEVIEVE: I think this one is so pretty! I even like the nickname Gen/Genny. This is another one Josh immediately said no to (and I'm so sad he did!)
PHEOBE: Pheobe is a cute name that my mom suggested when I was trying to find a P name that went with our last name and I fell in love with it!
MERCY: This is one of the only virtue names that I like, alongside Grace. Its a lot less heard of than Faith and Charity, and in my opinion, much prettier too.
ASPEN: Yes, like the tree. This is one that Josh and I actually agreed that was really pretty but he didn't think he could use it for one of his daughters.
ISLA: (Pronounced Eye-La) I love how soft this name is and I think its gorgeous, but Josh can't see why I even suggested it. This is one of those that I'm trying hard to get him to like so I can add it to the potentials list again.
PENELOPE: Penelope is possibly my favorite name that goes with Packer. I'm so sad that I made the mistake of showing Josh the film Penelope, a modern day fairy tale about a girl cursed with the nose of a pig in search of love so the curse can be lifted. So, because of that mistake, Josh can't get the vision of a pig nosed girl out of his head, so he said no to this practically perfect name.
CATO: For obvious reasons, I can't use this one in real life. I can't get the concern that my son might turn into a vicious serial killer out of my mind whenever I try to convince myself to add this one to the "Names We Might Actually Use" list. That being said, I still like the name on its own.
VIRGIL: I read a book called Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me a few years ago and the love interest is called Virgil. Also, I was an extra in a movie with my sister and a few cousins in a Disney Channel movie called Minute Men a while back and the lead character was called Virgil as well. I can't quite put my finger on why, but this name has always caught my attention and I've been searching and searching for the perfect character to use this name on in a book of mine.
SPEED: For anyone who has seen the film Speed Racer can understand why I like this name. Speed is an awesome character with awesome values but for the connection to a street drug, Speed is a name that I just can't see myself using anywhere, even in a book.
SALEM: I actually could see myself using this name for one of my sons but Josh can't get the Salem Witch Trials out of his head whenever I suggest this one.
SULLIVAN: I really like this one, and it was on our list of potentially usable names until someone reminded me that Sullivan is the name of the big blue monster from Pixar's Monsters Inc. It was quickly removed after that.
KNIGHT: I think this one is really cool and I would totally use it for one of my kids! This is sadly one of the names that Josh vetoed immediately.
PETER: This has always been one of my tippy top favorite boys names, like from when I first got into names when I was 12ish. Josh doesn't mind this one but we agreed that it simply won't work.Our last name gets mistaken for Parker all the time and I don't want people thinking I named my kid after Spiderman.
SEPTIMUS: I found this name from the film Stardust. I think its epic, but sadly too epic for me to ever even consider using in real life.
RIVER: This is actually the name of the love interest in my latest novel. I was considering using it for one of my sons but Josh said he just couldn't use it.
FABLE: This is a possibility for one of the leads in my book. I think its a softer boys name, yet still masculine.
I'd love to hear your input on some of my guilty pleasure names as well as some of your favorite names!
Thanks for reading!
Mackenzie
SPARROW: Yes, Sparrow. This is one of those names that I think I would use for an endearing nickname for either a parent to child or between love interests.
SUNSHINE: Again, yes. Sunshine. I saw this name on one of the decorators from the earlier seasons of Cake Boss and I'm seriously considering this one for a girl in the latest novel I'm working on.
ASTRID: From How To Train Your Dragon. I LOVE this name but I wouldn't use it simply because of the character from the film.
INGRID: Ingrid Michaelson is one of my very favorite musicians to listen to, and her name is awesome! However, Josh can't sign off on this one because he likes Ingrid Michaelson too, and the whole idea of naming a child after a famous singer doesn't work for him.
GENEVIEVE: I think this one is so pretty! I even like the nickname Gen/Genny. This is another one Josh immediately said no to (and I'm so sad he did!)
PHEOBE: Pheobe is a cute name that my mom suggested when I was trying to find a P name that went with our last name and I fell in love with it!
MERCY: This is one of the only virtue names that I like, alongside Grace. Its a lot less heard of than Faith and Charity, and in my opinion, much prettier too.
ASPEN: Yes, like the tree. This is one that Josh and I actually agreed that was really pretty but he didn't think he could use it for one of his daughters.
ISLA: (Pronounced Eye-La) I love how soft this name is and I think its gorgeous, but Josh can't see why I even suggested it. This is one of those that I'm trying hard to get him to like so I can add it to the potentials list again.
PENELOPE: Penelope is possibly my favorite name that goes with Packer. I'm so sad that I made the mistake of showing Josh the film Penelope, a modern day fairy tale about a girl cursed with the nose of a pig in search of love so the curse can be lifted. So, because of that mistake, Josh can't get the vision of a pig nosed girl out of his head, so he said no to this practically perfect name.
CATO: For obvious reasons, I can't use this one in real life. I can't get the concern that my son might turn into a vicious serial killer out of my mind whenever I try to convince myself to add this one to the "Names We Might Actually Use" list. That being said, I still like the name on its own.
VIRGIL: I read a book called Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me a few years ago and the love interest is called Virgil. Also, I was an extra in a movie with my sister and a few cousins in a Disney Channel movie called Minute Men a while back and the lead character was called Virgil as well. I can't quite put my finger on why, but this name has always caught my attention and I've been searching and searching for the perfect character to use this name on in a book of mine.
SPEED: For anyone who has seen the film Speed Racer can understand why I like this name. Speed is an awesome character with awesome values but for the connection to a street drug, Speed is a name that I just can't see myself using anywhere, even in a book.
SALEM: I actually could see myself using this name for one of my sons but Josh can't get the Salem Witch Trials out of his head whenever I suggest this one.
SULLIVAN: I really like this one, and it was on our list of potentially usable names until someone reminded me that Sullivan is the name of the big blue monster from Pixar's Monsters Inc. It was quickly removed after that.
KNIGHT: I think this one is really cool and I would totally use it for one of my kids! This is sadly one of the names that Josh vetoed immediately.
PETER: This has always been one of my tippy top favorite boys names, like from when I first got into names when I was 12ish. Josh doesn't mind this one but we agreed that it simply won't work.Our last name gets mistaken for Parker all the time and I don't want people thinking I named my kid after Spiderman.
SEPTIMUS: I found this name from the film Stardust. I think its epic, but sadly too epic for me to ever even consider using in real life.
RIVER: This is actually the name of the love interest in my latest novel. I was considering using it for one of my sons but Josh said he just couldn't use it.
FABLE: This is a possibility for one of the leads in my book. I think its a softer boys name, yet still masculine.
I'd love to hear your input on some of my guilty pleasure names as well as some of your favorite names!
Thanks for reading!
Mackenzie
Comments