"At The Hospital" Update, Part 1
Hey everyone! So this is my first blog post from the hospital! I don't know how many of these there will be but I know I'll have at least one more when Lincoln gets here. If I can figure it out, I'll post a picture of the cute little peanut once he's here! I just wanted to update you all on what's happened so far.
So Josh and I arrived at the hospital at 10:30 PM. Apparently there have been a lot of women going into labor all at once so they had to postpone me coming in by a couple hours. Anyway, at 11 or so, my first nurse, Mary Ann, took my blood pressure and put both the contraction monitor and the fetal heartbeat monitor on my belly. By 11:30, she finished putting in the i.v. (I'm still feeling queasy about that and it's 3:47 AM) at midnight she gave me a little pill to ripen my cervix and to help the dilation process progress.
She came back to check on me about twenty minutes ago because the fetal monitor came off. She decided to check my cervix then instead of waiting till 4. In three and a half hours, I already have gone from 1 centimeter, 70% effaced to 2 centimeters, 80% effaced (which, according to her, is very rapid progression!)
Because I'm moving along so well, she started my Pitocin drip at 3:45 AM. She also gave me the good news that I can get an epidural whenever I feel like it, even if I'm not at 4-5 centimeters yet, because the Pitocin will continue to increase every half hour. In a regular labor, you usually have to wait till you're 4-5 centimeters dilated since doing it before that point can slow down the progression of labor.
So that's where I'm at! I'm going to try and get some sleep before my contractions come on too strong for me to sleep through them. :)
Thanks for reading!
Mackenzie
So Josh and I arrived at the hospital at 10:30 PM. Apparently there have been a lot of women going into labor all at once so they had to postpone me coming in by a couple hours. Anyway, at 11 or so, my first nurse, Mary Ann, took my blood pressure and put both the contraction monitor and the fetal heartbeat monitor on my belly. By 11:30, she finished putting in the i.v. (I'm still feeling queasy about that and it's 3:47 AM) at midnight she gave me a little pill to ripen my cervix and to help the dilation process progress.
She came back to check on me about twenty minutes ago because the fetal monitor came off. She decided to check my cervix then instead of waiting till 4. In three and a half hours, I already have gone from 1 centimeter, 70% effaced to 2 centimeters, 80% effaced (which, according to her, is very rapid progression!)
Because I'm moving along so well, she started my Pitocin drip at 3:45 AM. She also gave me the good news that I can get an epidural whenever I feel like it, even if I'm not at 4-5 centimeters yet, because the Pitocin will continue to increase every half hour. In a regular labor, you usually have to wait till you're 4-5 centimeters dilated since doing it before that point can slow down the progression of labor.
So that's where I'm at! I'm going to try and get some sleep before my contractions come on too strong for me to sleep through them. :)
Thanks for reading!
Mackenzie
Comments